Northern Edition

Select Edition

Northern Northern
Southern Southern
Global Global
New Zealand New Zealand
France France

'Bizarre': All Blacks greats puzzled by glaring non-selections for Ireland series

(Photos / Getty Images)

All Blacks greats have called into question the omission of two players they believe could have made a difference in New Zealand’s recent series defeat to Ireland.

ADVERTISEMENT

Speaking in the wake of their first-ever home series defeat at the hands of the Irish, All Blacks legend Sir John Kirwan was left puzzled by New Zealand’s insistence to pick lock Scott Barrett at blindside flanker.

Normally a second rower, Barrett starred at No 6 in his side’s first-up win over Ireland in Auckland earlier this month, but was then moved back to lock in the absence of Sam Whitelock for their defeat in Dunedin a fortnight ago.

Video Spacer

Ardie Savea and Dane Coles speak to media after All Blacks loss to Ireland

Video Player is loading.
Current Time 0:00
Duration 0:00
Loaded: 0%
Stream Type LIVE
Remaining Time 0:00
 
1x
    • Chapters
    • descriptions off, selected
    • captions off, selected
      Video Spacer

      Ardie Savea and Dane Coles speak to media after All Blacks loss to Ireland

      Barrett then failed to feature in the Wellington loss last weekend despite initially being named to start on the side of the scrum after succumbing to an injury.

      In his latest appearance on The Breakdown, Kirwan asked why the All Blacks looked to use Barrett as a loose forward rather than a lock while expressing his view that Ian Foster’s side had lost its sense of playing identity.

      Fellow ex-All Blacks star Jeff Wilson responded by outlining that the All Blacks looked to capitalise on Barrett’s physical presence and aerial threat.

      However, Wilson noted that Barrett was the only player in the squad capable of fulfilling those requirements at No 6, which former All Blacks halfback Justin Marshall labelled as “bizarre”.

      ADVERTISEMENT

      Wilson said that others, such as discarded All Blacks loose forwards Shannon Frizell, could have filled that role in Barrett’s positional shift in the second test, and in his absence during the third test.

      “We looked for physicality, didn’t we? We looked for our lineout,” Wilson told The Breakdown of Barrett’s selection at blindside flanker.

      “The interesting thing about that is that we haven’t got anyone else in the squad who fits that mould.

      “The only guy, for me, who fits that mould is Shannon Frizell. He’s the only guy who carries hard, hits hard and is a great lineout option.”

      ADVERTISEMENT

      Marshall added that Crusaders standout Cullen Grace could also be included in that mix, but Wilson wasn’t as convinced.

      Related

      “Or Cullen Grace, but he’s a No 8 more, not the same height in terms of stature, not the same lineout target,” Wilson said.

      “Once again, it’s one of those things where we’re searching right now. Clearly we’re clearly searching.”

      Despite not featuring for the All Blacks against Ireland, Frizell was called into the national set-up in a training capacity in the lead-up to the second test after Whitelock and Tupou Vaa’i were ruled unavailable due to concussion and Covid, respectively.

      Grace, meanwhile, impressed in his first two matches for the Maori All Blacks during their drawn two-game series with Ireland.

      The one-test All Black’s performances in the mid-week matches in Hamilton and Wellington was a continuation of his Super Rugby Pacific form with the Crusaders, which led Scott Robertson to say Grace was “playing like an All Black”.

      Either, or both, players could yet be included in the 36-man All Blacks squad to compete in the upcoming Rugby Championship, which kicks-off with two tests against the Springboks in South Africa on August 6 and August 13.

      The All Blacks were expected to name their Rugby Championship squad on Wednesday, but that has been delayed as New Zealand Rugby continues its review of the series defeat to Ireland.

      ADVERTISEMENT

      Boks Office | Episode 39 | The Investec Champions Cup is back

      Argentina v France | HSBC SVNS Hong Kong 2025 | Men's Match Highlights

      New Zealand v Australia | HSBC SVNS Hong Kong 2025 | Women's Match Highlights

      Tokyo Sungoliath vs Shizuoka BlueRevs | Japan Rugby League One 2024/25 | Full Match Replay

      Reds vs Force | Super Rugby W 2025 | Full Match Replay

      The Rise of Kenya | The Report

      New Zealand in Hong Kong | Brady Rush | Sevens Wonders | Episode 4

      The Fixture: How This Rugby Rivalry Has Lasted 59 Years

      Trending on RugbyPass

      Comments

      1 Comment
      R
      Rouan 987 days ago

      What the All Blacks lacked is physicality. No matter what is said, if they had played South African sides regularly it could have been different . NZR won’t admit it but kicking SA out of superrugby was a mistake. The current product is not great. Ian Foster in my opinion needs to go, Scott Robertson is a great coach, he should have been there in the first place.

      Join free and tell us what you really think!

      Sign up for free
      ADVERTISEMENT

      Latest Features

      Comments on RugbyPass

      E
      Elizabeth M Joshua 1 hour ago
      What Newcastle 'can’t legislate for' as they face fellow basement dwellers

      ## A Remarkable Recovery

      I'm Elizabeth Joshua from Mississippi, and my journey to recovering my stolen USDT coins was nothing short of miraculous. It began with a devastating loss of $267,400 to a cunning scammer. The feeling of helplessness was overwhelming, and I thought my money was gone forever. Website: Brunoequickhack.COM

      However, my luck changed when I stumbled upon Brunoe Quick Hack's services online. Their reputation for being reliable and efficient in recovering stolen cryptocurrency caught my attention. I decided to take a chance and reached out to them.

      To my surprise, Brunoe Quick Hack's team was professional, responsive, and transparent throughout the entire process. They worked tirelessly to track down the scammer and recover my stolen USDT coins. Their expertise and dedication were truly impressive.

      In a remarkable turn of events, Brunoe Quick Hack successfully recovered my stolen funds. I was overjoyed and relieved to see the money safely returned to my account. WhatsApp: +1705-784-(2635)

      My experience with Brunoe Quick Hack has been nothing short of exceptional. Their service is top-notch, and I highly recommend them to anyone who has fallen victim to cryptocurrency scams. If you're looking for a reliable and efficient solution to recover your stolen funds, look no further than Brunoe Quick Hack.

      ## A Testimonial to Excellence

      I'm thrilled to refer Brunoe Quick Hack's services to the globe. Their professionalism, expertise, and commitment to customer satisfaction are truly remarkable. If you need help recovering stolen cryptocurrency, don't hesitate to reach out to Brunoe Quick Hack. They are the real deal. Email: BrunoequickhackATgmail.com

      0 Go to comments
      d
      dimitrirassam299 2 hours ago
      Don't get out over your skis on the Highlanders

      For months, I had been diving deep into the world of cryptocurrency, excited by the opportunities and promises of financial freedom. Like many others, I had heard of people making life changing gains overnight, and I wanted my share of the success. Unfortunately, in my eagerness, I fell victim to a well disguised scam that drained my Ethereum ETH holdings. It started when I stumbled upon an investment platform that seemed too good to be true but in my greed and hope, I ignored the warning signs. The website had polished testimonials, a smooth interface, and a community that appeared legitimate. I transferred a significant amount of Ethereum, expecting high returns in a matter of weeks. Days turned into weeks, then months, and soon  I realized I had been scammed,I was devastated. That money was not just a financial asset; it was my hard earned savings, my dreams of financial security. I reached out to the so-called support team of the platform, but my emails went unanswered, and the website eventually vanished. I was left with nothing but regret.Just when I was about to give up, a friend told me about Washington Recovery Pro a specialized asset recovery service that had helped victims like me retrieve lost funds from fraudulent schemes. Skeptical but desperate, I decided to reach out. Their response was swift and professional. They assured me that while many scams are sophisticated, their team had the expertise to trace and recover stolen digital asset one day, I woke up to an email notification that your funds had been successfully recovered. I logged into my crypto wallet, and there it was my ETH, safely returned. I could hardly believe it.For anyone who has lost money in crypto scams, I say that there is still hope. Washington Recovery Pro proved that with the right team, justice can prevail.their handles.

      WhatsApp-‪  +1 (903) 249‑8633‬

      4 Go to comments
      LONG READ
      LONG READ How the Gallagher Premiership has become rugby's go-to league for thrill seekers How the Gallagher Premiership has become rugby's go-to league for thrill seekers
      Search