Northern Edition

Select Edition

Northern Northern
Southern Southern
Global Global
New Zealand New Zealand
France France

Diamond slams green-eyed critics of Sale's Springbok recruitment drive

(Photo by Nigel Roddis/Getty Images)

Sale boss Steve Diamond believes critics of his Springbok recruitment drive are green-eyed that the club has moved up to second place in the Gallagher Premiership and is now targeting a first trophy for 14 years against Harlequins in Sunday’s Premiership Rugby Cup final at the AJ Bell Stadium.

ADVERTISEMENT

While next weekend’s showpiece decider is not the most important in English rugby, it offers the Manchester club the chance to blow dust off their trophy cabinet.

Diamond said: “Three years ago the investors came in and I said it would take us three years to get top four and that is what has been done.

“We were under the salary cap for seven years and are still under this season. To some people, we are seen with a green eye, but we get the best value for money. I still average 16 English players in every 23-man squad – fact.

“We put a lot into the Cup and we have a home final and it shows just where we have come from and where we are. There will be a sell-out crowd on Sunday, which is big for us.

“The best marketing tool is our team. The ship canal runs alongside the stadium and the fans would swim across that to watch us at the moment.

“We are playing a good brand of rugby, are second in the Premiership and our stadium holds a bit of fear for some teams. The next three weeks with the Cup final, Quins away and then Exeter could be a definer for us.”

ADVERTISEMENT

With more room to manoeuvre with their roster, Exeter centre Sam Hill will shortly be confirmed as Sale’s latest signings.

And while Saracens pair Vincent Koch and Nick Isiekwe will not be arriving at the club’s Carrington training facilities, it is understood that Diamond is looking to bring in forwards from Argentina and Russia instead.

With Lood de Jager, the World Cup-winning lock, making his debut last weekend in the rout of London Irish, Diamond’s South African contingent is now complete and the Sale director of rugby excepts to be able to put out his first-choice XV in around six weeks due to players coming back from injury and others who have to be rested due to the game time they have already clocked up for club and country. 

“I know what my first-choice XV is,” insisted Diamond. “It is very exciting and I’m pretty sure that team will be put out in the next six to seven weeks.

ADVERTISEMENT

“For the first time I have a squad that means I can rotate players which I never thought I would do. I always thought rotation and rest was an excuse not to pick players but look at our back row options. We have five players who have played maximum minutes and they need to be rested.”

Sale off-loaded England winger Chris Ashton last week to cup final opponents Harlequins but while the mid-season timing seems strange, Diamond insists his team’s play-book and important calls will not be compromised.

“It’s a one-off game and last time we played them in a final they put us to bed in 2013,” he said about facing a Quins side beaten 28-15 at Bristol last weekend.

“People throw caution to the wind in this kind of one-off and have a lot to do, but Tom Curry and Mark Wilson are back from England duty. Rohan Janse van Rensburg is a week or to away with his hamstring and there is a doubt over Akker van der Merwe.”

WATCH: The Rugby Pod reflects on all last weekend’s Gallagher Premiership action 

Video Spacer
ADVERTISEMENT

Boks Office | Episode 39 | The Investec Champions Cup is back

Argentina v France | HSBC SVNS Hong Kong 2025 | Men's Match Highlights

New Zealand v Australia | HSBC SVNS Hong Kong 2025 | Women's Match Highlights

Tokyo Sungoliath vs Shizuoka BlueRevs | Japan Rugby League One 2024/25 | Full Match Replay

Reds vs Force | Super Rugby W 2025 | Full Match Replay

The Rise of Kenya | The Report

New Zealand in Hong Kong | Brady Rush | Sevens Wonders | Episode 4

The Fixture: How This Rugby Rivalry Has Lasted 59 Years

Trending on RugbyPass

Comments

0 Comments
Be the first to comment...

Join free and tell us what you really think!

Sign up for free
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest Features

Comments on RugbyPass

T
Tom 43 minutes ago
No definites, but which Wales players could still make Lions squad?

Williams, Faletau, Lake, Morgan are the only ones who have a chance. None of them are guaranteed but I'd imagine they'll pick Williams and Morgan who could get in on merit and will likely be favoured for inclusivity.


Williams is fighting it out with Ben White for 3rd slot behind JGP and Mitchell.

Morgan is up against JVDF, Earl, Curry, Curry, Willis for 4 flanker slots. Morgan is a fantastic player but a huge call to leave any of those boys at home given how much Wales struggled at the breakdown against England. He's by no means solely responsible for that but it will be fresh in the minds of the selectors. Given the amount of hybrid players emerging and the inclination for a 6-2 split, they may be able to find room for a 5th flanker in the squad. In which case may be Ben Curry who misses out or Willis might be excluded given we have such depth in the players who have chosen to play for clubs this side of the channel.


Lake and Faletau are good enough but I'd be surprised if Faletau gets picked over Conan and Lake would be up against Cowan-Dickie which I can't see happening. Blair Murray is probably 4th in the 15 pecking order behind Kinghorn, Heenan, Marcus Smith. He may be a better 15 than Smith but Smith brings versatility so would be ahead of him. Since Smith may go on tour as a 10/15 hybrid, they would already have 3 fullbacks in the squad so Murray won't make it, good player though.


Nicky Smith and Dafydd Jenkins clutching at straws.

3 Go to comments
TRENDING
TRENDING ‘Current form doesn’t matter’: Commentator on potential All Blacks midfield ‘Current form doesn’t matter’ in All Blacks race
Search