Northern Edition

Select Edition

Northern Northern
Southern Southern
Global Global
New Zealand New Zealand
France France

'I wasn’t sure how we were going to win a lineout!' - Saracens boss reflects

By PA
NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE, ENGLAND - NOVEMBER 12: Saracens Director of Rugby Mark McCall arrives prior to the Gallagher Premiership Rugby match between Newcastle Falcons and Saracens at Kingston Park on November 12, 2023 in Newcastle upon Tyne, England. (Photo by Stu Forster/Getty Images)

Mark McCall was delighted at the way his Saracens side were able to adapt in adversity after a thumping 50-12 win away to Newcastle Falcons at Kingston Park.

ADVERTISEMENT

The reigning Gallagher Premiership champions travelled to the north east without a number of their England stars, who were rested after coming straight back in last week.

They then lost lineout caller and second row Callum Hunter-Hill in the warm-up, with back-rower Ollie Stonham coming into the starting line-up out of position at the last minute.

Despite that, Sarries were able to overcome a slow start to wrap up the bonus point by half-time and make it three wins on the spin, to the delight of McCall.

He said: “As a squad, to come up to Newcastle with some of the disruption we had in the week – we changed the team a lot from last week (and) lost Callum in the warm-up, I wasn’t sure how we were going to win a lineout!

“Ollie Stonham came in – a young lad from our academy – and did a fantastic job. It was a big strength, our lineout, incredibly, so it’s the sort of gritty, intense performance that we wanted and I’m really pleased with how we did.

“We had to graft really hard – the last three weeks, there’s been a really good feeling in the group.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I thought we problem-solved well on the field, we rolled our sleeves up and were relentless all throughout the game. It’s always the sign of a good squad, when people aren’t too precious and want to help the team as much as they can.”

Related

Falcons opened the scoring through Sebastian de Chaves but Saracens responded with four tries before half-time, Theo Dan crossing twice along with scores from Elliot Daly and Alex Lewington.

Bryan Byrne crossed for Falcons shortly before the hour mark but Saracens then ran away with it, Tom Willis, Juan Martin Gonzalez and Manu Vunipola rounding off a big win.

For Falcons head coach Alex Codling, it was no more than Saracens deserved.

He said: “The scoreline doesn’t often lie, it did probably a bit last week (when Falcons lost to Harlequins). This week we started brightly, scored the first try but after that there were too many errors, we were too ill-disciplined and they showed why they’re a champion team.

ADVERTISEMENT

“That’s the one thing about Saracens, we spoke about momentum in the week – if you give it to them, it’s very hard to get it back and we gave them plenty.

“We didn’t see the ball for the last 20 minutes of the first half, we started brightly in the second half, but ultimately we’re a long way short. It’s a bigger challenge than I thought it was when I came into the job.

“The Argentinian boys have all come back, obviously they’re all knackered from the World Cup. They love this club, they care about this club, they’re a shining light. That’s a huge positive but obviously there aren’t many others.”

Related

ADVERTISEMENT

Boks Office | Episode 39 | The Investec Champions Cup is back

Argentina v France | HSBC SVNS Hong Kong 2025 | Men's Match Highlights

New Zealand v Australia | HSBC SVNS Hong Kong 2025 | Women's Match Highlights

Tokyo Sungoliath vs Shizuoka BlueRevs | Japan Rugby League One 2024/25 | Full Match Replay

Reds vs Force | Super Rugby W 2025 | Full Match Replay

The Rise of Kenya | The Report

New Zealand in Hong Kong | Brady Rush | Sevens Wonders | Episode 4

The Fixture: How This Rugby Rivalry Has Lasted 59 Years

Trending on RugbyPass

Comments

0 Comments
Be the first to comment...

Join free and tell us what you really think!

Sign up for free
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest Features

Comments on RugbyPass

J
JW 14 minutes ago
'Matches between Les Bleus and the All Blacks are rarely for the faint-hearted.'

Well a) poor French results doesn’t seem to effect the situation much. In fact one of the reasons given for this selection policy is that the French don’t tune in for foreign rugby content on the other side of the world, at a time when theyre not having their vino. So who would know the results? And b) this is the crux of the matter, they are legally abided to play them as part of WRs tier 1 reciprocal tours programme. The only real choice for the SH team is to treat it the same, which is fine when teams are happy to do that, but the AB’s have a totally anthesis policy/mentality so would never use the games in the same way.


So alligned with b) the only real option is to complain to those in control. I suspect that’s why weve seen France reneging on the practice, and you can only be left to think that if they hadn’t reneged, WR would have done something more drastic about it. Which of course would mean not just telling them to bugger off when they want to tour, it’s no one playing them (from t1 at least) at all (assuming they have no interest in scheduling match’s outside the windows, like Ireland and NZ are doing).


Then of course that means no involvement of France in the Nations Championship. Which means they are automatically the last ranked team in 6N to qualify, so the actual worst team in 6N gets to compete in it, making a mockery of the promotion and relegation WR wanted to happen between T1 and T2 for qualifying purposes. Yup, b) is just something nobody wants to happen. Well done FFR and LNR for making the tour work instead (how well is yet to be seen).

111 Go to comments
T
Tom 1 hour ago
No definites, but which Wales players could still make Lions squad?

Williams, Faletau, Lake, Morgan are the only ones who have a chance. None of them are guaranteed but I'd imagine they'll pick Williams and Morgan who could get in on merit and will likely be favoured for inclusivity.


Williams is fighting it out with Ben White for 3rd slot behind JGP and Mitchell.

Morgan is up against JVDF, Earl, Curry, Curry, Willis for 4 flanker slots. Morgan is a fantastic player but a huge call to leave any of those boys at home given how much Wales struggled at the breakdown against England. He's by no means solely responsible for that but it will be fresh in the minds of the selectors. Given the amount of hybrid players emerging and the inclination for a 6-2 split, they may be able to find room for a 5th flanker in the squad. In which case may be Ben Curry who misses out or Willis might be excluded given we have such depth in the players who have chosen to play for clubs this side of the channel.


Lake and Faletau are good enough but I'd be surprised if Faletau gets picked over Conan and Lake would be up against Cowan-Dickie which I can't see happening. Blair Murray is probably 4th in the 15 pecking order behind Kinghorn, Heenan, Marcus Smith. He may be a better 15 than Smith but Smith brings versatility so would be ahead of him. Since Smith may go on tour as a 10/15 hybrid, they would already have 3 fullbacks in the squad so Murray won't make it, good player though.


Nicky Smith and Dafydd Jenkins clutching at straws.

3 Go to comments
TRENDING
TRENDING Sale Sharks refuse to give up on new stadium dream Sale Sharks refuse to give up on new stadium dream
Search