Northern Edition

Select Edition

Northern Northern
Southern Southern
Global Global
New Zealand New Zealand
France France

Queensland Reds boosted by the return of Wallaby No 8

(Photo by Cameron Spencer/Getty Images)

Harry Wilson says the Queensland Reds are in a good head space despite the run of losses that has seen their Super Rugby Pacific title hopes plummet.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Reds host Moana Pasifka at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night in the penultimate round, looking to rediscover some winning momentum heading into the finals.

On the back of four defeats they have slumped out a home finals spot to seventh, but with a top eight playoff berth assured, Wilson was upbeat about their prospects.

Video Spacer

Aotearoa Rugby Pod | Episode 14

Video Player is loading.
Current Time 0:00
Duration 0:00
Loaded: 0%
Stream Type LIVE
Remaining Time 0:00
 
1x
    • Chapters
    • descriptions off, selected
    • captions off, selected
      Video Spacer

      Aotearoa Rugby Pod | Episode 14

      “We’re on a bit of a losing streak, but we showed some good improvement over the last few weeks and we are in a pretty good headspace,” Wilson said on Tuesday.

      “We’ve got go out there as a team and try to get better each week and I’m sure it’s going to happen.

      “I’m sure by quarter-final time we will be ready.”

      The young Wallabies hopeful will be a key inclusion against Moana Pasifika, missing last round after he was knocked out and taken from the field on the medi-cab two weeks ago.

      Before the disappointing loss to the Blues, No.8 Wilson had crossed the gain-line on 95 carries, 16 more than any other player in the competition.

      ADVERTISEMENT

      They will also have Fraser McReight back after the busy young flanker missed the trip to Auckland with the flu to continue to press for Test selection.

      “It was a pretty big knock but once I got back to the sheds I was all good and I’ve got full memory from it all,” 22-year-old Wilson said.

      “I was good last week and I was trying to be available for selection but they thought the week off was better for me.”

      Wilson said the league recruit Suliasi Vunivalu was starting to show his true colours after long-term struggles with hamstring injuries.

      ADVERTISEMENT

      Although closely marked by the Blues, the burly winger did his best to get involved with some tough carries, scored a try and helped set up another.

      “That game on the weekend was awesome and it will be so beneficial for him,” Wilson said of the former Melbourne NRL star.

      “Obviously being out for so long, it takes a while to get back into the groove and we all saw on the weekend how much X-factor he has and just getting his hands on the ball, how it can change the game for us.

      ADVERTISEMENT

      Boks Office | Episode 39 | The Investec Champions Cup is back

      Argentina v France | HSBC SVNS Hong Kong 2025 | Men's Match Highlights

      New Zealand v Australia | HSBC SVNS Hong Kong 2025 | Women's Match Highlights

      Tokyo Sungoliath vs Shizuoka BlueRevs | Japan Rugby League One 2024/25 | Full Match Replay

      Reds vs Force | Super Rugby W 2025 | Full Match Replay

      The Rise of Kenya | The Report

      New Zealand in Hong Kong | Brady Rush | Sevens Wonders | Episode 4

      The Fixture: How This Rugby Rivalry Has Lasted 59 Years

      Trending on RugbyPass

      Comments

      0 Comments
      Be the first to comment...

      Join free and tell us what you really think!

      Sign up for free
      ADVERTISEMENT

      Latest Features

      Comments on RugbyPass

      J
      JW 1 hour ago
      Razor has an about turn on All Blacks eligibility rules

      Yep, another problem!


      I think he would have, in the instance I mentioned, which wasn’t changing anything other than correctly applying todays eligibility quidelines. Which is an arbitrary construct, as the deal likely would have played out completely differently, but I just ‘allowed’ him to have 1 year sabbatically for his ‘loyalty’, rather than having some arbitrary number like 70 caps required.


      So if Richie had a 3 year deal, and the first year he was allowed to use him still, I don’t think he’d really not transition to Dmac being his main 10, as he’s obviously the only one he can use for the following two years, therefore likely his only real option for the WC (very hard for Richie to overtake him in such a short time). Richie would purely be a security net in a situation like I proposition where there are only small changes to the eligibility.


      The system is not working well enough though, as we don’t have the Rugby Championship or World Cup trophies, do we? Well on that last question, that’s all I’m really saying but I would not believe a word this author says, so it’s entirely a ‘what if’ discussion, but if the author is right and now they are actually going to be more flexible, I think that’s great yeah. Ultimately thought I think those two players were an anomaly signing their contracts and futures up so far ahead, especially of when they were performing. Both jumped at the opportunity of good contracts when their All Black prospects weren’t looking that bright.

      51 Go to comments
      TRENDING
      TRENDING Worcester Warriors poised to make first two signings Worcester Warriors poised to make first two signings
      Search