Northern Edition

Select Edition

Northern Northern
Southern Southern
Global Global
New Zealand New Zealand
France France

'They're really here to compete': Reds wary of 'tough' Drua

Fijian Drua celebrate after a try during the round three Super Rugby Pacific match between Fiji Drua and Crusaders at Churchill Park, on March 11, 2023, in Lautoka, Fiji. (Photo by Pita Simpson/Getty Images)

Not that they needed one, but the Queensland Reds have received a warning shot from Fijian Drua’s momentous defeat of the Crusaders.

ADVERTISEMENT

An after-the-siren kick got the Drua home against the defending Super Rugby Pacific champions in Lautoka on Saturday and the tremendous buzz generated by that result will carry all the way to Suncorp Stadium next Sunday afternoon.

The Drua’s lack of late-game composure was all that denied them a huge upset in Brisbane last year at a ground that has been a stronghold for the Reds under coach Brad Thorn.

Video Spacer
Video Spacer

The Reds were up 28-9 with 18 minutes to play but needed a series of miracle plays from their own Fijian star Seru Uru to escape with a 33-28 victory.

“You look at that game, (we had a) comfortable lead, sniffing for bonus points, took our foot off the gas and suddenly we were at risk of losing the match,” Reds backrower Liam Wright reflected on Tuesday.

“And that’s how quickly they can turn it.

“(Victory against defending champions the Crusaders) showed that they’re really here to compete.

“Last year they were a really tough opponent but that showed the level they’ve stepped up too…they’re ready to finish games, which is where they fell apart a bit last year.

“It’s just a warning sign really.”

Related

ADVERTISEMENT

The Reds are 1-2 after a tough loss in Canberra against the Brumbies last time out, but Wright is buoyed by the form of fit-again five-eighth James O’Connor and quietly confident in his own health.

“You saw his complete understanding of what you want from a fly-half,” Wright said of O’Connor, who came off the bench to replace Tom Lynagh for the second week in succession.

“His new energy and speed as well … was fully on show.”

Wallabies hopeful Wright has endured a wretched run of injuries and began the year on the bench with a concussion for round one.

But he has produced 80-minute performances in his last two games.

“I don’t want to talk too early, but I’ve already played more minutes than all of last year,” he said.

ADVERTISEMENT

“That’s big for me, two 80-minute performances.”

Wright said where once he battled anxiety and worry about performance, he has learned not to take playing for granted.

“It’s renewed love for all that stuff; I just remind myself now I could be sitting on the sidelines watching … it’s good to be out there,” he said.

“But I’m not going to speak too soon; I’d like to go three, four, five games in a row before I feel like I’m back in the swing of things.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Boks Office | Episode 39 | The Investec Champions Cup is back

Argentina v France | HSBC SVNS Hong Kong 2025 | Men's Match Highlights

New Zealand v Australia | HSBC SVNS Hong Kong 2025 | Women's Match Highlights

Tokyo Sungoliath vs Shizuoka BlueRevs | Japan Rugby League One 2024/25 | Full Match Replay

Reds vs Force | Super Rugby W 2025 | Full Match Replay

The Rise of Kenya | The Report

New Zealand in Hong Kong | Brady Rush | Sevens Wonders | Episode 4

The Fixture: How This Rugby Rivalry Has Lasted 59 Years

Trending on RugbyPass

Comments

0 Comments
Be the first to comment...

Join free and tell us what you really think!

Sign up for free
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest Features

Comments on RugbyPass

J
JW 1 hour ago
Razor has an about turn on All Blacks eligibility rules

Yep, another problem!


I think he would have, in the instance I mentioned, which wasn’t changing anything other than correctly applying todays eligibility quidelines. Which is an arbitrary construct, as the deal likely would have played out completely differently, but I just ‘allowed’ him to have 1 year sabbatically for his ‘loyalty’, rather than having some arbitrary number like 70 caps required.


So if Richie had a 3 year deal, and the first year he was allowed to use him still, I don’t think he’d really not transition to Dmac being his main 10, as he’s obviously the only one he can use for the following two years, therefore likely his only real option for the WC (very hard for Richie to overtake him in such a short time). Richie would purely be a security net in a situation like I proposition where there are only small changes to the eligibility.


The system is not working well enough though, as we don’t have the Rugby Championship or World Cup trophies, do we? Well on that last question, that’s all I’m really saying but I would not believe a word this author says, so it’s entirely a ‘what if’ discussion, but if the author is right and now they are actually going to be more flexible, I think that’s great yeah. Ultimately thought I think those two players were an anomaly signing their contracts and futures up so far ahead, especially of when they were performing. Both jumped at the opportunity of good contracts when their All Black prospects weren’t looking that bright.

51 Go to comments
LONG READ
LONG READ How the Gallagher Premiership has become rugby's go-to league for thrill seekers How the Gallagher Premiership has become rugby's go-to league for thrill seekers
Search