Northern Edition

Select Edition

Northern Northern
Southern Southern
Global Global
New Zealand New Zealand
France France

Three upcoming South African players banned for doping

Rugby fans watching rugby during day 2 of the 2017 U/18 Coca-Cola Craven Week at St Stithians College on July 18, 2017 in Johannesburg, South Africa. (Photo by Sydney Seshibedi/Getty Images/Gallo Images)

The South African Institute for Drug-Free Sports has announced the bans of three young rugby players after they tested positive for banned substances during last year’s SA Schools Craven week rugby tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT

Two of the players have been named, a former Grey College student Khoitsimodimo ‘Kamo’ Mathibedi whilst the other was an SA Schools selection last year, Sifiso Magwaza out of Hoerskool Monument in Krugersdor.

The third player’s name has been redacted as they are a minor.

Magwaza is a prop who played for the Lions in addition to making SA Schools, although he did not feature in fixtures against England or France, while Mathibedi is a hooker for Free State.

Video Spacer
Video Spacer

Each of the players have been handed three-year bans with eligibility to begin playing rugby again starting in August 2025.

The Craven week tournament for under-18 representative provincial rep teams brings the best of South Africa’s talent together, although it has been dragged into controversy over doping scandals despite its popularity.

In 2018 six young players were caught using banned substances in anti-doping tests, which continued an alarming trend after three positive tests in 2014, five in 2015, four in 2016 and three in 2017.

At the time the chief executive of the South African Institute for Drug-Free Sport, Khalid Galant, told The Times the ‘win at all costs’ attitude towards Craven week had turned ‘toxic’.

ADVERTISEMENT

The 2018 crop of positive tests had revealed a ‘cocktail of steroids’ according to Galant but they were ‘unsophisticated’ dopers without the means to evade detection.

In 2020 critics called into question a ‘steriod culture’ in South Africa which former Springboks lock Marco Wentzel sided with.

Wentzel, who played for South Africa in 2002, told Sport24 it was difficult to argue against the claims with the South African rugby schoolboy scene presenting an alarming doping problem.

“The unfortunate fact is that if we look at the last few years in terms of the amount of rugby players caught doping, critics have a point,” Wentzel told Sport24.

ADVERTISEMENT

“From what one hears the steroid use at schoolboy level is quite rife but is it because we are so competitive and there are so many players? It might spring from that because rugby is such a big cultural phenomenon.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Boks Office | Episode 39 | The Investec Champions Cup is back

Argentina v France | HSBC SVNS Hong Kong 2025 | Men's Match Highlights

New Zealand v Australia | HSBC SVNS Hong Kong 2025 | Women's Match Highlights

Tokyo Sungoliath vs Shizuoka BlueRevs | Japan Rugby League One 2024/25 | Full Match Replay

Reds vs Force | Super Rugby W 2025 | Full Match Replay

The Rise of Kenya | The Report

New Zealand in Hong Kong | Brady Rush | Sevens Wonders | Episode 4

The Fixture: How This Rugby Rivalry Has Lasted 59 Years

Trending on RugbyPass

Comments

0 Comments
Be the first to comment...

Join free and tell us what you really think!

Sign up for free
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest Features

Comments on RugbyPass

J
JW 1 hour ago
Razor has an about turn on All Blacks eligibility rules

Yep, another problem!


I think he would have, in the instance I mentioned, which wasn’t changing anything other than correctly applying todays eligibility quidelines. Which is an arbitrary construct, as the deal likely would have played out completely differently, but I just ‘allowed’ him to have 1 year sabbatically for his ‘loyalty’, rather than having some arbitrary number like 70 caps required.


So if Richie had a 3 year deal, and the first year he was allowed to use him still, I don’t think he’d really not transition to Dmac being his main 10, as he’s obviously the only one he can use for the following two years, therefore likely his only real option for the WC (very hard for Richie to overtake him in such a short time). Richie would purely be a security net in a situation like I proposition where there are only small changes to the eligibility.


The system is not working well enough though, as we don’t have the Rugby Championship or World Cup trophies, do we? Well on that last question, that’s all I’m really saying but I would not believe a word this author says, so it’s entirely a ‘what if’ discussion, but if the author is right and now they are actually going to be more flexible, I think that’s great yeah. Ultimately thought I think those two players were an anomaly signing their contracts and futures up so far ahead, especially of when they were performing. Both jumped at the opportunity of good contracts when their All Black prospects weren’t looking that bright.

51 Go to comments
TRENDING
TRENDING ‘Current form doesn’t matter’: Commentator on potential All Blacks midfield ‘Current form doesn’t matter’ in All Blacks race
Search